Accu-Chek New Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Glucometer Review (Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter)
Review of New Accu-Chek Active Glucometer
|Display||96 segments LCD display with symbols|
|Battery life||Approx. 1000 measurements or one year (whichever comes first)|
|Available on Conzumr Since||September 2018|
|Prices in US Dollar|
|Prices in Indian Rupee|
|1mg||₹ 1359 SELL 14% off|
|Amazon.in||₹ 1436 SELL 9% off|
|SnapDeal||₹ 1449 SELL 8% off|
|Home Shop 18||₹ 1449 SELL 8% off|
|FlipKart||₹ 1455.09 SELL 8% off|
|Paytm Mall||₹ 1480 SELL 6% off|
|Accu-Chek||₹ 1580 SELL|
|Shopclues||₹ 1599 SELL|
|Netmeds||₹ 1599 SELL|
|pepperfry||₹ 1329 OUTOFSTOCK 16% off|
|Prices in Malaysian Ringgit|
|Lazada Malaysia||RM 100 SELL|
|Refreshed 9 hours ago|
If you need futher guidance regarding various things to consider while purchasing Glucometer, please read our Conzumr Guide
Managing diabetes involves ensuring that your blood glucose levels are as close to normal as possible. A home blood glucose monitoring solution is necessary inorder to monitor blood glucose levels and avoiding the long term complications of type 1 and 2 diabetes. There are a number of companies in the market today that manufacture a blood glucose meter. The new Accu-Chek (Accuchek or Accucheck) Active manufactured by Roche is a fairly popular glucose monitor. Let us provide you with all the information you need to decide whether the new Accu-Chek Active is right for you.
The Accu-Chek Active is a fairly small and light weight blood glucose meter that measures glucose levels in about 5 seconds. In addition to the glucose monitor, the product comes with 10 test strips, 1 Softclix lancing device and 10 sterile lancets. The Active can be operated by utilizing the two buttons - Memory (M) and Set (S) below the display. It allows the user to set time and date which comes in handy when storing test results or viewing glucose level trends. The meter has enough storage to store 500 results. When the meter is new or if you are using a new strip lot or drum, you are required to code the meter as described in the owner’s manual and run a control test to calibrate the meter. The Accu-Chek Active requires between 1 -2 uL blood for testing. If the blood dose on the test strip is not enough, the meter alerts the user to under-dosing. Similarly if the strip is nearing expiry again the user is alerted. The meter has functions to provide averages of 7, 14, 30 and 90 day readings. Another nifty feature includes support for transfer of recorded measurements to various tablets, laptops, phones etc via a Micro USB port. It utilizes a type CR 2032 battery which is long lasting and easily available in the market.
Things to watch out for:
- Recurring cost of strips and lancets can create a dent in your pockets. Be on the lookout for the best deals for the strips and lancets available online or at your local store.
- Blood glucose monitor accuracy can still not match the accuracy of a lab test. There is normally a variance of atleast 10% between lab results and home glucometer results.
- Calibration and Coding is needed for every new strip drum in the Accu-Chek Active glucose meter to operate correctly. In addition to that there is a learning curve involved in learning how to use the Accu-Chek active.
- External conditions such as room temperature, humidity, altitude can impact device measurements. It is best to operate the Accu-Chek Active when the temperature is between 8 and 42 degrees Celsius and with humidity less than 85%. Readings can be highly in-accurate outside these conditions.
- For those patients taking allopathic medications, we would recommend speaking with a doctor about the effectiveness of a home glucose monitor for personal use before buying as substances from certain medications enter the blood stream and can adversely impact the accuracy of the device.
- The Accu-Chek Active provides reasonably accurate measurements.
- Light weight and small dimensions make the Accu-Chek active easy to carry anywhere.
- Requires very little blood for testing. Lancing your finger is quick and easy once your lancing device is set to the right penetration depth.
- Supports Alternative Site Testing (AST) as the strip is dosed with blood outside the meter thus allowing blood to be drawn from other areas of the body instead of the finger and minimizing pain.
- Excellent build quality and large display.
The Accu-Chek active is a pretty good blood glucose monitor and is a reliable home blood glucose monitoring solution. It is important to understand a home glucose meter’s limitations and its optimal operating conditions so that you maximize reading accuracy and efficiency. Using the Accu-Chek Active glucose meter regularly and correctly will certainly help you manage your health well. We rate this device a 7/10.