Fat (% by mass)
Fat is an essential part of any balanced diet providing fatty acids, fat-soluble vitamins & a concentrated source of energy.
As per FSS Regulations, fat in toned flavoured milk should not be less than 3 per cent and in double-toned flavoured milk not less than 1.5 per cent.
- All brands complied with the minimum requirement for fat.
- MTR (4.46 per cent) was found with the maximum amount of fat – this is good for consumers. Paras (1.52 per cent) had the minimum fat.
Milk Solids Not Fat (SNF)
Apart from fat, all other solids such as proteins, lactose, vitamins and minerals together make up solids not fat. As all nutrients are required by body so higher is better. As all nutrients are required by the body, higher SNF quantity is better.
As per FSS Regulations, SNF content for toned flavoured milk should not be less than 8.5 per cent and in double-toned flavoured milk not less than 9 per cent.
- All brands complied with the minimum requirement for SNF.
- MTR (18.84 per cent) was found with the highest SNF, which, as already stated, is beneficial for consumers. Ananda (15.70 per cent) had the least SNF.
Total Plate Count (cfu/gram)
Total plate count is the amount of viable bacteria in a food product and serves as a key indicator of the product’s overall quality and safety. As per Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, total plate count in sterilised and ultra-heat treated (UHT) flavoured milk should be nil.
Coliform Bacteria Count (cfu/gram)
Presence of coliform bacteria count is suggestive of unsanitary conditions or practices during production, processing, or storage. As per Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, coliform bacteria count in sterilised and ultra-heat treated (UHT) flavoured milk should be nil.
For General Qualities
Flavoured milk should be packed in glass/plastic/ tin or any other suitable container.
The following information shall be clearly and indelibly marked on the label of each container:
- Name of the product
- Name of the product
- Name and address of manufacturer
- Batch or code number
- Net volume in ml
- Month and year of manufacture
- The words ‘Best before’ (month and year to be indicated)
- Nutritional information
- Logo indicating ‘vegetarian’ or ‘non-vegetarian’ status
- Storage information
- Customer-care details
- Type of product:
i) pasteurised/sterilised milk;
ii) cow/buffalo/standardised/skimmed/toned/double toned milk;
iii) flavoured – chocolate milk, coffee milk, etc.
- All brands had labelling as required by FSS Regulations.
- All brands were made from sterilised milk.